Hi UMI team. I am having some problems running energy simulations in UMI. I have created a few templates, and when I run the energy simulation I get the same results for every template I assign to the building. I have tried saving as / importing / exporting the template to different files and is giving me the same problem. Any suggestion how to go about it without starting from scratch again? I am attaching the umi file for your reference here.
I wasn't able to reproduce your problem. I ran an energy simulation with CZ3_Office_Woodframe, Uni, and FIN Tirana_no insulationTemplate and got different results for each. You may have to deselect and reselect the building after each run (the panel doesn't always update).
I do want to warn you that the model you've created of your building isn't really what UMI is designed for. You've created a relatively detailed model of a single building, but UMI is really for simulating multiple simple building models simultaneously. There are other E+ frontends more appropriate for your use case available, such as Archsim or DesignBuilder.
i am facing the same problem .. could you please tell me if you have found an answer to your question ?
Can you please post an example file and reproduction steps for the problem you're seeing?
Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix the problem. I found out that the the program couldn't generate an energy result when the templates I created were assigned to the building. It generated results only when the default UMI templates were assigned. I guess this is why Cody wasn't able to reproduce my problem, because he used one of the default templates, which actually work.
To create my own templates I created new materials as well. Maybe they were causing the problem. I will be curios to see what you find out.
Hi Ruwaa and Cody,
Were you able to solve the problem? I created another template and was able to get some energy results. However, I reached the same point when I change the construction template and the energy results don't change.
Here is the UMI file for your reference in case you want to reproduce the problem.
Wanted to add to my comments above that I get the following error:
umi energy error: The .eso file 'C:\Umi\Temp\umi-shoeboxer/2_Increased_Insulation_0606/eplus/Group0/SAMPLE2/40\SAMPLE2.eso' is improperly formatted
I have reproduced your problem. Let me try to see if I can figure out what's going on.
The problem is your building schedules. The schedules TR_PB_Y_COOL, TR_PB_Y_HEAT, and TR_PB_Y_NAT VENT do not cover the whole year (e.g. TR_PB_Y_COOL only goes from May 1 to Sep 31). Year schedules must have every day accounted for - if you want the schedule to be "off" for the other days, you need to assign an "always off" schedule for those days. (You can see some examples in the default templates.)
Clearly, we need a better error message for this, though. I'll add it to the list.
Thank you for your help Cody. I changed the schedules to cover the whole year, and I was able to get results. Yes, a clear error message will help to identify the problem.